A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Vaccine Irony

Remember how I talked about taking Samuel and Hannah to the pediatrician Thursday? I mentioned that both kids got 2 shots. Hannah got Hep A and Pentacel, Samuel got Hep A and the chicken pox booster shot. Booster. As in, he'd already had one almost 12 years ago. Guess what he woke up with Friday morning?
Yup. Chicken pox. I knew he'd been exposed 2 weeks earlier, because we had friends who had it, and we were over at their house. But I assumed (yes, I know) he would be okay because 1) he didn't get it last year, when Brianna had chicken pox; and 2) he HAD THE SHOT. Well. That was effective. I kinda think the booster may have been the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.
Wook at dat face!
We're quarantined until he's better. Which meant no homeschool co op, no Civil Air Patrol, no church, no park day... I can't decide if it's frustrating or relaxing, actually. The silver lining in this is that it's been nice not having to run around quite so much. But we are starting to get a bit of cabin fever.
Poor guy. His feet have them, too. They're in his ears, his hair. He's been a really good sport about the whole thing, though. One of the things I love about Samuel is his good attitude. He's even been limping along in his schoolwork.


My one hope is that no one else breaks out with them. We're less than a week in, so it's still too early to say that no one else will catch them from him. I just dread the thought of getting Samuel all cleared up and ready to go back out in the big world, only to have Furby or Eli, neither of whom had the shot, break out.


When I talked to Zach, he suggested putting Sam in front of a movie. Fortunately, I had a free Redbox code for my birthday, which I used to pick up a movie the kids hadn't seen. I may even spring for another one when we return it, as a treat.

2 comments:

  1. Awww poor kid. Thise ARE miserable. My kids all got them one week apart so foe a whole month I kept having one sick baby after another. Three kids AND JOE all got them! I told him to stay away from us cuz he hqd never had them vut OH NO big strong man thought he couldn't get them. BUT HE DID. And so did my ExFIL who wound up in quarantine in ICU as he had leukemia (in remission at that point). YIKES.

    Anyway good luck Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigosh, that must have been awful for Joe and you! Sick men are the worst, lol! If the little boys don't get them by high school, I'll have them get the shots.

    ReplyDelete