A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

U is for Unfinished

U is for a number of Unique words, and at first blush it might seem a little depressing to pick a word with a sort of negative connotation.

But I'm choosing to think of Unfinished more as "work in progress" than perpetually Undone.

I'm talking about... my school room.

We moved in October, and the school room was one of the last rooms to be worked on.


But it quickly went from this to...



...a working school room, albeit a messy, unfinished one.  


With lots of boxes.  


Lots and lots of boxes.  (Mostly books, honestly.)  

One of my first purchases for the new school room was the 3 turquoise cubes you can see in the pictures above.  The lids come off, so they're seating and storage!  I got them at Target.  
Currently, one holds books, one holds reams of printer paper and binder paper, and one holds botany supplies/science stuff.  


These pictures are much more recent.  After Paul finished the bookcase, I was finally able to unpack the last of the boxes!  


The "clothesline" has Christmas card and other photos of friends & family.  The pink bucket holds the overflow from the summer sales at Staples.  I stock up every year when things are super duper cheap.  The drawers under it are art supplies.  


The "family tree" hanging on the left came from a craft booth at Apple Hill.  The kids enjoyed picking out faces to represent themselves.  The apple wreath under the clock was a group homeschool project from 2007.  Each of my students painted their own apple and I added our school name and year.  


As you can see, the 3 cubes have become a faux window seat.  They're easy to move around, though, and the kids rearrange things when we watch something together on the computer.  The basket on the floor and the tub atop the milk crate are board books.

Even though it's looking better all the time, it's still Unfinished.  
Work in progress.  (kinda like me)

But I'm very happy to have a dedicated school room.  
And I'm excited about the changes that I'm making to our curriculum next year and how that will impact how we use this room.  
The thought of the memories we'll make here makes me smile.  

1 comment: