A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Let's work on sight words!

Recently, a blog post on I Can Teach My Child reminded me of something I did when Zach was little to help him learn to read.  I'd done a similar project for myself when I was trying to learn Spanish vocabulary as a teen.  I still remember a small yellow post it with cuchara (which means spoon) typed on it in the silverware drawer of my dad's house.

I seem to remember Paul being un-amused at having words all over the apartment when I did it for Zach, so I mostly confined myself to the school room and Furby's room.














Furby got to put up some of the cards himself, like CLOSET, above.  In the week or so since they've been up, I've heard him reading them several times.  He struggles with reading, so anything that makes it more fun/interesting is a Very Good Thing in my book.  And if Hannah happens to learn something in the process, so much the better.

As I type this, the two of them are sitting behind me, doing a puzzle together.  I've recently had Furby start reading her Biscuit books once in a while.  Biscuit was a huge favorite of Furby's, and it's so cute to see him share that with her.

1 comment:

  1. My sister posted words all over her house for my then two year-old son, and I swear, he was reading by age three. It really works!

    ReplyDelete