A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Monday, March 4, 2013

SchoolhouseTeachers.com Review


I'd like a share a wonderful website with you today!  SchoolhouseTeachers.com is an almost overwhelming number of resources all rolled into one.  Want someone to help you teach your child French?  Hebrew?  Spanish?  SchoolhouseTeachers.com has pulled together a great group of knowledgeable instructors for these and much more.  Career Exploration, Classical History, Elementary Literature kits, as well as Literature for older kids, Figures in History, Chemistry, College Choice Guidance, Economics, Geography, Guitar, History, Home Ec, Keyboarding, Lapbooking, Logic, Math, Media Socialization, Mock Trial, Nature & Outdoors, Physics, Reading, Science Studio Art, Worldviews, and 2 Writing courses.   A veritable cornucopia of teaching resources!

With lesson plans for every age, from preschool to high school, there truly IS something for everyone at this site.  There are comprehensive checklists you can use as a full service curriculum, or you can pick and choose individual topics a la carte.

For example, in checking out their Elementary Math section, I discovered they offer both videos and worksheets.  This appeals to me because math is not a subject I enjoy teaching, so having the videos would give the children access to a teacher with a passion for their subject matter.  The worksheets let me see that they are mastering the material.

Personally, I was thrilled to find a section of lessons on Asia, as that's right where we're at in our current studies with our main curriculum.  It's always nice to find a little something to supplement and change things up for variety's sake.  We've been studying India, so Nepal fit right in.  I read the kids the story, and we discussed the discussion questions together.  My kids love flags, and were fascinated by the unique shape of Nepal's flag, as mentioned in the lesson.  China is near and dear to my heart, of course, and we will be reading and discussing the lesson for China this week.  There is also a dynasty worksheet my older kids can complete.

Brianna went through several of the Art Lessons, creating this masterpiece in one of them:


I'm looking forward to her continuing those, as Art is an area where she shows interest and talent, and yet I have no aptitude for, and have not pursued finding a curriculum for.  I'm delighted that this is something she can sit down and do once a week without me needing to be involved, except to admire the finished products.  Furthermore, this is easy for both of us, as the entire lesson is online, and she can complete it while sitting at the computer.

When Eli completes another project he's currently got going (more on that later!) I'm going to have him take the Filmmaking course.  He's been wanting to try stop motion videos, so I think this will be a good fit for him.  There are a lot of videos to watch in this course, which is great for visual learners.

Best of all, you can get your feet wet exploring the site for only $1 for the first month!  If you like it, pay just $5.95 per month for unlimited access to all that SchoolhouseTeachers.com has to offer!

You can read even more reviews here:  http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/schoolhouseteachersreview/

Thanks for reading!



 photo Disclaimer2_zpsff718028.gif


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment