A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Art Project: Canopic Jars

Brianna's jar, Imsety, was for holding the liver.

Omigosh, this was so cool.  Okay, so recently I saw a review another blog did of Art In History.  And I thought, "Hmm, that's kind of neat," and I went to check out the website.  

Eli did the falcon jar, used to hold the intestines.

They have US History and World History, and when I clicked the World History section, I almost felt a little sorry for Paul, because I could see this was going to be a new favorite site of mine, since we're studying world history from Creation to the Greeks this year.  I got a big ol' box from Art In History on Saturday, and it was very hard waiting for Paul to bring The Good Camera home from work so I could get nice pictures when we did our first project, canopic jars.  

Jack did the jackal, which holds the stomach.

The kids loved this project!  They learned to create a "wash" with the paints that came with the kit, and how to use a sponge instead of a brush for painting.  


I loved that there was a lesson I could read to them explaining what canopic jars are, and what each of the jars represent and what organs they held.  This was perfect for us, since we are learning about Ancient Egypt right now!  AND, we just finished Egyptian Gods and Goddesses, which actually mentions canopic jars and shows pictures that look just like what we made!

There were simple, detailed instructions, and pictures that showed what the completed projects were supposed to look like.  


The paints dried quickly, and we were able to do the whole project in one day.


I really appreciate that while all 3 jars came out different, there is no right or wrong, and they're all pleased with their artwork.  They did better with this guided project than when I tell them to paint a box "however you want," which seems to be overwhelming to them.  

You will absolutely be seeing more of these projects from us.  I'm hooked!  If you're interested in more from Art In History, check out their Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest!  


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment