A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Monday, January 20, 2014

Hands on homeschooling with a cement mixer

 

Saturday morning, we woke up to this in the front yard:


Never a dull moment around here, I tell you.  
Remember when we had the fire engine in our driveway overnight?  


This was almost as exciting.  


I drive a big van.  So Paul wanted to widen the driveway, in order to give us a little more room around the vehicles.  


It was pretty cold out first thing in the morning, so the kids started out watching from the windows in their jammies.  That's Jack.


That's Hannah.


But pretty soon, they started popping out to check out the action.  


And it was very interesting to watch.


The pouring,


the smoothing.


All that watching paid off when there was a wee bit of concrete left over.


"Why yes, you can play in the concrete, just put gloves on first."


Unfortunately, Paul had to work on Saturday.  I sent him a picture to let him know the work was starting, and teased him that I was going to sprinkle GLITTER into the wet cement.


He was Not Amused.  The kids, however, thought it was a great idea, so they glittered their patch.  


I remember when I was a kid and my dad let me put my handprint in wet sidewalk by our house.  I would have loved to do the same with my kids, but Paul foresaw disaster, given the number of little paws that would have been.  Sigh.


At least they got this little piece to play in.  


It kept them amused for a while, smoothing it out and starting over.  Writing their name, making leaf fossils, hand prints, glitter...


Um, yeah, that's upside down.  Mad photo editing skillz there.  Oops.  

Please take a moment to enter the Purex giveaway!  And our Habe Naturals giveaway, too.  

Linking up with:
My Joy-Filled Life

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

2 comments: