A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Weekly Wrap Up 23 - Signs of Spring


Yesterday was a gorgeous 70*.  As I've mentioned, right about this time each year, I start to think I might survive homeschooling after all.  We got OUTSIDE for park days not once, but twice this week!  My bulbs are sending shoots up.  Spring is coming!


Another blog I follow mentioned XtraMath, a free program online.  She referred to it as a "math vitamin," and that's what we call it, too.  Just a few minutes of speed drill each morning to freshen up the basic math skills.


Jack continues to work hard at Word Building (spelling) and still gets horrible test scores.  However, Eli is reviewing a brand new spelling program that I'm very excited about, and I think I'll be switching Jack over to that next school year.


I mentioned that we got out a couple times this week.  It was good for all of us.  The fresh air and sunshine felt wonderful, and getting the chance to talk to other homeschool moms helps me feel like a real person again.


This other little 3 year old is just 6 months older than Katie, and it was so cute to see Katie tug at her and say, "Come on!"  Katie hasn't had much opportunity to play with other kids her own age since we got her. She hauled off and smacked my friend Sarah's son recently, so I was a little concerned for her social skills, but she did great today.


Even Lukey got a ride on the airplane.  I was asked today, "Is he like this all the time?"  In a weird way, it validated that yeah, this is not fun.


Another mom took this pic with my camera.  :/  You kind of have to press the button half way to focus.  She took several shots of all the kids, and none of them turned out.

(Brianna shot this as we were leaving)

This week we continued our standardized testing online.  Brianna needed test scores to get into "real" school next year, so hers are done and she's all registered.  Eli and Jack are still working on theirs.  (The tests are about 9 sections.)  I love having them online, but I think I was more disciplined about it when we got the box in the mail and had to send everything back by a deadline.


Little Miss Muffet has been leaving her "take home folder" at school.  I told her last time she left it that if she left it there again, she would have to write sentences to help her remember.  She was Not Happy to discover that I was serious about that.  --Lest you think I'm being mean, her homework is in that folder.  When she leaves her take home folder at school on a Friday, we miss out on three days worth of opportunities to get that packet done.  


We had a visit from Annaliese, which was nice.

Looking at the week ahead, we'll wrap up King David and move on to Solomon.  I'll have to see if I can find some craft to represent "riches".  We also have a new game to play this week.  Looks like we have another whole MONTH of Children's Homer.  There are some lovely tongue twister names in there, and the grammar makes me a little crazy (saying "builded" aloud makes me cringe) but at least it's a read aloud that doesn't make me cry like the Patricia St. John books did.

Linking up with Great Peace Academy and:  
For the Display of His Splendor

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture Briana took! You guys had a lot of fun this week.

    ReplyDelete