A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Friday, May 16, 2014

Weekly Wrap Up - The Last Week of Normal Homeschool


We have finished our My Father's World curriculum for this school year!!!  Woo hoo!  I feel a huge sense of accomplishment.  We'll continue to work on math and spelling and review items for a bit, but we can do more fun stuff and I can relax about checking off lists for a while.  


Katie and Hannah continue with our review of Dino Lingo.  Here, they're coloring a page from the coloring book.


I then had Hannah do some scissor practice with her coloring page, cutting out the dinos and pasting them onto another piece of paper.


Eli works on his CTC Math.  He will use this program next school year, as well.


Although she is "off track," from going to school, Hannah still has Journal to do twice a week, which she will turn in when she returns.


Little Miss Muffet got caught "lead handed" with a pencil this week.  She learned the fine art of erasing, and that pencils are for paper.


Look at that face!  Aren't I a big fat meanie for making her clean up the mess she made?


I know I have talked about giveaway winnings before, but one of the really fun perks of supporting other bloggers and entering their giveaways is that sometimes you WIN!


We won a very cool Marine Engineer Career Cube from The Naptime Reviewer.


Since we're big on STEM science lately, this was right up our alley.  We got to build boats out of the materials included in the kit...


...and then test whether or not they float carrying a load for a certain length of time!


I love Brianna's face in this picture, as she sees the "marble bucket" boat sink.


Jack discovered that the baggie the marbles came in made a great "boat."  You may notice the kitchen scale in this picture?  That was a review item that Eli asked to use to determine how much weight a sponge could bear.


My Popsicle stick raft sank like a rock.


Testing out another design.  (Don't worry, the water we used for this experiment was later supplemented with HOT water and used for Katie and Luke's bath, so it wasn't wasted.  Gotta be drought conscious.)


This design of Eli's worked out pretty well for the final (of about 4?) challenge, which had to include a mast.


The Career Cube even included expense reports.  Once, the challenge was to build to certain specifications AND stay under a certain budget.  I won that one with my foam creation, but we didn't get a picture of that.


Somehow in all this, it came out that my kids had never made paper boats and floated them in a creek or fountain.  Well, since no childhood could possibly be complete, we watched a YouTube and made paper boats.


Jack continues to work on Spelling You See.  I'm seeing good things for both he and Eli from this program, and it's another of the things I will be continuing next year.


Sometimes, you just need a little cookie dough to go with your story.


This has less than nothing to do with homeschooling, but since I rarely get to see Katie sleeping, I couldn't resist sharing this picture I caught this week.  New nightgown from a friend who brought over bags of nice hand me downs!


This are mini canvases I got the kids to paint on.  Above is Jack's mountain scene.


And this is Eli's house.  Both are done in acrylics, and both have some custom color mixing.  Brianna hasn't painted hers yet.

Next week, stay tuned for volcanoes, more from Dino Lings, art, etc!  Looking forward to the "fun" season of schooling.  We're essentially just marking time until Sam gets out for summer break.  Time to break out the rest of the science kits we never seem to get around to.

Linking up with The Homeschool Post and:
For the Display of His Splendor

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

6 comments:

  1. What a great wrap-up! The science kit looks super cool, very full, and very fun - hadn't heard of it before and will have to go look it up. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for joining the Christian Fellowship Friday linkup. :) Cant wait to get to know you better! Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they make more kits in different careers. It was nicely done, and very open ended, surprisingly.

      Delete
  2. I am going to dive into homeschooling this summer, I will be back to check out some of your ideas ;-) Thanks for sharing especially in the Pintastic Pinteresting Party

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a plethora of ideas here! I love little miss muffet's face. Haha! I bet she has learned, pencil only on paper - no joke.

    The science kit is awesome! The STEM fields - essential!

    Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She found a pencil the next day and picked it up and carried it like it was toxic waste to give to one of the big kids to put away. :D

      Delete