A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Crazy Little Thing Called Love


Do you ever wish you could go back and change a mistake you made in the past?  I think we all do.  I know I have.  Crazy Little Thing Called Love is the story of hope for those of us who've goofed.

Vanessa is engaged to Ted, a comfortable fit.  He's a doctor, she's a paramedic.  He's stable.  Predictable.  And he walks all over her feelings and desires when it comes to planning their wedding.  See, there's this medical conference, and it would be convenient if they got married while they were there.  After all, destination weddings have fewer guests, which would help keep the costs down, and they wouldn't have to go somewhere else for the honeymoon.  Yeah, I didn't like this guy, either.

But it seems Vanessa does, because she agrees to fly down to Florida, to a place where she, as a military brat, used to live, to plan the wedding part of things.

Only, while she's there, she runs into this guy she used to know.  Actually, they kinda sorta eloped during their senior year.  As so often happens in young, impetuous love, things didn't work out, and she hasn't seen him since their divorce 8 years ago.  She's not happy to see him now.

Logan, on the other hand, is thrilled to see Vanessa.  It's a sort of sweet torment for him, because he never stopped loving her.  He's going through his own stuff, and needs to make some decisions about his career, which is an unusual one.

The two are thrown together by a hurricane, literally.  Being forced to spend time together makes Logan hope they can rekindle what they had years ago, but Vanessa is still wounded over how things fell apart at the end.

I really enjoyed this book.  In fact, I even took it to the dentist with me, so I could read during the waiting times.

One part that really stood out to me was when Vanessa is talking with her friend Mindy, and Mindy asks her what she believes about God.  Vanessa's reply is:  "I believe he must not love me enought to let me have a lasting relationship."  Now, in her case, some of that feeling goes back to having to move every couple years as a child, at the whims of the military, and how difficult it was for her to make and keep friends.  But I think we all have felt that way at some point.  God doesn't love me enough to heal my child.  Or God doesn't love me as much as He loves the "in crowd" at church.  Or God doesn't love me enough to give me ________.  Whatever it is.

While the book is not overtly preachy at all, this particular nugget was a great reminder to challenge those feelings of insecurity with the truth of scripture.

Author Beth K. Vogt has done a great job crafting a sweet story with realistic and personable characters.  You can connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.  Buy the book on Amazon.


This post may be linked up at these linky parties.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment