A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

A large family, homeschooling, adoption, special needs, whatever strikes my fancy, sort of blog.

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Our Busy Week


Happy April!  Even though Monday was no school and Wednesday and Thursday we had appointments during school time, we still managed to get a decent amount of schoolwork done this week, for which I'm thankful.  The girls got new legs on Wednesday!  We have to go back in 2 weeks for parts and adjustments, but at least they're walking better now.  


Sharing the computers gets more interesting with all 3 of my students using XtraMath.com now.  Katie is doing addition, Jack is doing multiplication, and Hannah just started division.  We have an unwritten rule that the kids get a new video game when they finish a level in XtraMath, so Hannah got a Paddington app for her Leap Pad when she finished multiplication.  Katie and Jack continue to use Reading Kingdom, and Jack and Hannah are working on a new computer program for an upcoming review.


I'm pleased with Katie's progress in reading, and I'll be sharing what we're using with her this coming week.


My students took a field trip with daddy to the fire engine dealer so he could check out some new technology for work.


He's on the apparatus committee, and has been instrumental in all the recent equipment purchases in his department.  I've talked before about him bringing home a fire engine and then later, a fire truck.


The Magnatiles have been getting a workout the last couple of weeks.  It's fun to see things cycle in and out of popularity around here.


These were originally Brianna's, but in one of her recent room cleaning episodes, she decided they could live with Katie's light table.


Having them out and accessible means that all sorts of people play with them.  Even daddy.


And Josiah.


I didn't get a chance to show Eli's shirt from our trip to Jelly Belly Factory before, so here it is.  The really cool thing is that this is an actual maneuver that Eli has seen at the air show before.  They land the plane on top of a moving vehicle.


Speaking of Eli, he's taking robotics at school.  A couple weeks ago, his robotics class went to a Sea Perch competition, where they placed 4th or 5th out of 20 schools!  He had a great time.  I love seeing what the kids' different passions are as they get older.


Josiah and I took the kids out for ice cream while Eli stayed home on Josiah's computer and kept an eye on Luke.  When I downloaded pictures from my phone, I thought, "Bummer, his eyes are closed!" but then I realized, that really captures the feeling of enjoying yummy ice cream on a warm spring day.


Note to self.  Next time, Hannah gets to pick a light colored ice cream.  And I should carry wipes.


He really does smile, I promise.  Just not for pictures.  I enjoy having him around the house and taking him on adventures with me.  I will miss him when he moves out.  He made progress toward that end this week, and it's bittersweet for me.  I know he's growing up and spreading his wings, but I'm still a mom, you know?


Luke will see the cardiologist this coming week.  I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say about our little medical puzzle boy.

I found this puzzle in the girls' closet that they had never opened, so they were very excited to put it together.  Excuse the weekend hair!

We recently finished reading Paddington as part of our new literature program.  One morning when I was doing her hair, Hannah said, "I wish I was Paddington."  When I asked her why, she said, "Because he came from darkest Peru and got to go to England."  I told her, "You and Paddington have something in common.  You came from China and got to go to the United States!"  She lit up and said, "That's right!  We both emigrated!"  She wants to see the world.  When we did a creative writing assignment on what it would be like to have a penguin for a pet, she also mentioned taking it to see the whole world.

This coming week has a couple of appointments in it, but we should be able to get back to doing a whole week of schoolwork.

This post may be linked up at these linky parties.

Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote! Thanks for clicking for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment